Sunday, October 14, 2012

Major Saab (1998)


I am writing this with a sinking, guilty feeling in my stomach.
But it must be written.
When I started this little project, to basically keep track of what I have watched in my endeavor to “watch every Bachchan movie”, was to always be honest about what I thought about the innumerable movies I’ve watched. And since my recent discovery of the treasure trove that is the Netflix DVD library, it’s become easier for me to find movies that I have trouble finding.
I also realize that there is .001% chance that Mr. Bachchan, out of pure curiosity may visit and skim through this blog every now and then so I feel extra guilty and pensive about writing a critique that’s not exactly…nice.
But, as stated through my 70 reasons for loving Big B…I have learned to be honest.
And now I must be honest. 
So, with another apology, here is what I thought of the movie from 1998, directed by Tinnu Anand and Varinder Raj Anand, Major Saab
I think the same thing went wrong with Major Saab as it did with Mard. The thought was beautiful, the idea, the passion with which the idea was conceived was superb but…there were problems in execution.
In attempting to describe to a friend why Major Saab made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon, the only suitable explanation was that the writer forgot to tell me why I had to give a crap about what was happening.  The entire movie seems to be a series of incomplete thoughts that, in the end, seriously fail in convincing me that using army and military resources to get your cadet to marry a girl is not a good idea. If, perhaps, the relationships were better established or made more sense, the change in Major Jasbir Sing Rana was so drastic…Ah!
And again, as in Mard, Amitji’s leading lady wasn’t all there. Beautiful and sweet to be sure, but lacked a little something that would have set her at par with her husband or her two co-stars. Ajay Devgn found firm footing throughout the movie to be sure and, as always, Amitji delivered a very convincing performance as a very stern major with a soft side for his men. But, as stated above, the story felt disjointed.
The only positive part of the movie was the song Sona Sona and the banghra that ensues but other than that, all my respect to the cast and crew of this movie but…not a movie that is worth seeking and watching.
I PROMISE the next review I have time to write will be on a movie I adore! Lal Badshah and Mrityudata.
Until then, 
IS 


No comments:

Post a Comment