Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Namak Halaal (1982)

Today we have Namak Halaal from 1982, directed by Prakash Mehra, starring Amitabh Bachchan, Waheeda Rehman, Shashi Kappor, Om Prakash, Perveen Babi and Smita Patil…a star studded cast for a movie that proves that a dramatic actor is better suited for comedy than anyone else.

Namak Halaal is the story of one Arjun Singh, Mr. Bachchan, who is raised by his grandfather whom he lovely refers to as dadu (the unforgettable Om Prakash) to be a loyal employee, which is where the movie gets its title from. Wanting his grandson to make a name for himself in the world, dadu forces young Arjun to venture into the city and begin working for a famed and eccentric hotel owner, Shashi Kapoor. As luck would have it, someone is trying to kill Kapoor’s character and so Arjun is left to not only protect his “Malik”, but also figure out who…or rather, try to prove who it wasn’t. The story is a little more complicated than what’s written here but, you’ll have to watch the movie for yourself to see the whole story.

And what a movie! It’s a sample of Mr. Bachchan’s abilities as an actor, jumping from slap stick comedy to dramatic moments that will leave you with tears in your eyes. The movie also contains one of the sweetest love stories I’ve seen with Smita Patil as the beloved Poonam. The way Arjun reacts to her is for the books!

One of Mr. Bachchan’s most famous dialogues comes in this movie. Every Bachchanite knows the “I can walk English, I can talk English…” speech. One thing I found out recently about the movie was that it was the first scene that was shot for the movie, and it was all improvised. As Mr. Bachchan related the story during an interview not too long ago, they had kicked out the director and cameraman out of the room when they were filming the completely improvised scene, because everyone kept ruining the shot by giggling…I do not blame them. Arjun is truly one of Mr. Bachchan’s great and memorable characters.


Hindi movies usually are made or broken by the songs sometimes, and the songs in this movie are surely one of its many highlights. I am a music devotee. And out of the 2000+ songs in my music library, I can very confidently say that “Pag Ghungroo” from Namak Halaal is one of my top five favorite songs of all times. There’s enough comedy within the song and the way it melts into a love songs mirrors the movie and the love story that develops. Let’s not forget “Aaj Rapat Jaayen To” or “Thodi Si Jo Peeli Hai”, all vocalized by Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle. 

I can also guarantee that after seeing this movie, you will never kill a fly the same way you ever again..
The sweetest of love stories!
This is one of those MUST watch movies for anyone who wishes to get a good understanding of Mr. Bachchan’s 40+ years of acting. But I must warn you as well, never a giant fan of Shashi Kapoor...you gotta tolerate his version of an eccentric, millionaire hotel owner in this movie. Well worth it though, Arjun steals the show!

This movie also makes me wish there had been an opportunity for Mr. Bachchan to make more movies with Smita Patil. What a breath taking woman, what an actress! As a movie fan in general, I miss her talent and her beauty on the screen…lucky we have her Poono to remember her by! And Perveen Babi…eh. She’s always a hit and miss with me, and she missed it with this one…tried too hard to look mysterious.


I have to tell you, I’ve watched this movie I think four times these past few days…and I’m pretty sure I’m going to be putting it on again as I post this entry up for you to enjoy!

Enjoy the movie ladies and gents!
Miss Teen Chakke....


PS: The interview with Faridoon Shahryar has some interesting stories and insights into some of Mr. Bachchan's finest movies. It's also one of my sources for these little background stories! 


No comments:

Post a Comment