Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Nishabd (2007)

I had hoped to do Ram Gopal Varma’s 2007 movie Nishabd (“silence” or “no sound” in English) at my own pace, at its own time but I guess fate does not heed to our plans. In the face of Jiah Khan’s loss, today’s blog will discuss this very different, very touching film starring Amitabh Bachchan as a man who falls in love with his 18-year-old daughter’s friend, played by Jiah Khan.

The movie took me by surprise, I think it was one of the first RGV movies I had watched and this one cemented the fact that he is one of my favorite filmmakers. I have yet to see any movie with Amitabh Bacchan and RGV that I have not liked and I love Nishabd.

I’ve discovered an interesting trend in my own likes and dislikes: although I love the “typical” Bachchan characters, I’m more likely to like the movie if the character Mr. Bachchan plays is different…like his Vijay in this movie. This elder man that he plays, who is so lost in his own age, is so unlike any other of his characters, the plot is so unexpected. I like the fact that the subject of the movie, forbidden love, is so fantastically portrayed not only by the actors but by the director and writers of the film- that it makes the viewer uncomfortable watching it.

And I like being uncomfortable, because that means I am forced to think outside my comfort zone.
I see Mr. Bachchan as my own elder, and it has nothing to do with the age difference really. At 23, I’m considered an adult but I bow my head to those who teach me something, who allow me or show me the way to see something from a different perspective. To see him in such a scandalous rule, falling in love with his young daughter’s friend, was a shock. But because I like being uncomfortable, it was a pleasant shock.

And Jiah Khan’s ability to bring to life the screen Jiah added even more life to the story of the movie. She was the perfect foil to Mr. Bachchan’s Vijay character. A carefree spirit, she reminded me of some of my friends with her horrible attitude to her friend’s mother, but the desperation for love kickstarted my inner Freudian. Jiah’s one of a kind Jiah on screen became the definition of “daddy issues”, and I, as the viewer, not only hated her, but I loved her. Loved her “take light” attitude, loved her passion for poetry, her playfulness that drew out Vijay’s affection.

The song in this movie sung by Mr. Bachchan, “rozana”, has always made me cry like a baby. The lyrics always struck a personal chord and every depressed drive home from work after a long day called for the song to be blasted in the cry- now the song strictly reminds me of the gut-wrenching loss of Jiah. At this point, I can only pray that she has found the peace she sought, while the rest of us take light, and allow her to roam free forever in our hearts as Vijay’s Jiah.

What happened to Ms. Khan was a tragedy but to dwell on her death blurs her life, it forces her sweet smile 
to fade away.

But watch this movie, know that you will feel uncomfortable, know that Jiah will make you squirm in your seat, know that you will view your hero, Mr. Bachchan, in a new light. And you will question yourself about your beliefs about love, and what love is or should mean.

Yeah, I’m a hypocrite, and I’m leaving,
Ish.

PS forgive this post- I did not do the movie justice, my heart is still breaking for this amazing human being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment