Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hum (1991)


            So, this is going to be the first movie I’ll actually be posting about right after watching it. From 1991, Mukul Anand’s Hum (English: We), staring Amitabh Bachchan as Tiger/Shekhar, Rajinkanth as Kumar and Govinda as Ajay. The movie centers around Tiger, who gives up a life of violence on the docks of Bombay to raise his three younger brothers to be educated, righteous men with good futures. I can’t really elaborate more than that, because I feel like it’ll ruin the story.
            I’ve found myself slightly hesitant about watching any of Mr. Bachchan’s movies from the 1990’s, and I don’t know why. Two of my favorite movies by him, Agneepath and Khuda Gawah, which will be discussed accordingly as we go along, are from the 1990’s. But I skimmed the movie on IMDB, and when I saw Mr. B’s name was “Tiger” in this movie I almost threw up my hands and didn’t watch it. But, since I’ve vowed to try and watch every Bachchan movie, I had to watch Hum, and found myself in love with this movie!
            Mr. B’s character emerges on the docks as a throwback to his Vijay character from Deewar, with a scarf hanging off his shoulder instead of the rope, the same knotted shirt, unbuttoned almost completely.Actually, I don't know if the illusion to Deewar is done on purpose or not, and if Mr. Bachchan every accidentally stumbles upon this little project of mine, I'd love it if he answers the question of Tiger's ties to Vijay Verma. And then as the story progresses and he morphs into Shekhar, the actor manages to play two completely different characters. Gone is the goonda (hooligan) from the docks and is replaced by a responsible big brother, trying to set an example for them, and unites the little family he has with love. He manages the switch between Tiger and Shekhar with beautiful ease, and the audience feels the difference between the two characters.
            The only thing I could’ve done without was Kader Khan…but he actually wasn’t too too bad. And, if you’re reading this, you’ll discover I have a deep rooted hatred for Kader Khan. Haven’t figured out why just yet, but it’s definitely there.
            The music! Well, a particular song, “Jumma Chumma De De”, the first song in the movie, has me…mesmerized. I watched this movie last night, finished around 3AM, had the song stuck in my head throughout my dreams. And have been singing it and dancing with it all morning! I vow to sing this song from now on, on every Friday, since it’s basically about getting his girl to kiss (chumma) him on Friday (jumma). And I will do it as enthusiastically as Mr. Bachchan! The very beginning where he's on the swing, screaming "JUMMA JUMMA! MERI JANEH MAN!" is freakin' to die for! I am fan girling....
            I promise, if this song doesn’t get you hyper, nothing else will! 

No comments:

Post a Comment