Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Mission Statement. An Introduction.

This summer, and this blog and my twitter account @ThisIsIshtar will be dedicated to watching all movies Mr. Amitabh Bachchan has been in. 
Why? Good question...and there are so many good reasons for doing this, one can't decipher exactly where to begin listing the reasons.
An overwhelming fact is, however, that Mr. Bachchan has the ability to reach his audience who are beyond the boundaries of language, beyond country and culture. One of the most fascinating aspects of Mr. Bachchan is that, the more you read about him or watch his interactions via twitter or his own blog, the more you discover how much the people of his own country love him, but also find that he has large non-Indian fan base all over the world. I will discount my own story for this one moment to point out that I have two friends, "white" friends with no Eastern backgrounds like myself, who willingly and happily watch Sholay(1975) and Araakshan (2011). 
I went searching for a reason why this man can transcend culture and language and create fan girls out of actors of Johnny Depp's ilk. 
And while searching, I found that there is no singular, good answer.
For many, his abilities as an actor, as the "angry young man" of Kaala Patthar (1979) and Deewar (1975), representing the post-English restlessness of India. 
For others it's his stature, the way he carries himself that attracts them. An undeniable animal magnetism. 
For others, like me, it's the man's ability to endure. 
Whatever it is, its drawn me completely, and has me dragging friends and family into this incredible world where Mr. Bachchan reigns as Shahenshah of Hindi Cinema. And never fails to teach us something about family, about honor, and respect. 
So...the purpose of this?
To keep track of the movies I watch, to keep track of my thoughts on the movie, the music, the acting, everything. To track how much Hindi I've learned.
I promise to be completely honest and fair in reviewing the films I've watched....and shamelessly pick on Vinod Khanna and probably drool a little every now and then.
I invite you to come along with me to the ride, and watch me struggle to wrap my head and time around this loftiest of goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment