Thursday, July 11, 2013

Main Azad Hoon (1989)

Main Azad Hoon (“I Am Free/I Am Azad” in English) from 1989, directed by Tinnu Anand is the movie of today, with Amitabh Bachchan, Shabana Azmi and Anupam Kher.

And let me tell you, what a movie!

An adaptation of Hollywood’s Meet John Doe the movie is one of the movies starring Amitabh Bachchan that makes my historian and social activist’s heart flutter with utter joy. It shows India and Indian politics in a light that’s similar to my beloved Inquilaab (link: Inquilaab). Leaving my decidedly left leaning political beliefs aside, 
the movie’s ability to highlight a problem and make it such a personal narrative is admirable.

Then again, Javed Akhtar’s ability to bring down such a stratospheric issue to the level of “every man”, to make a movie’s plot and character seem so personal is a talent, and when combined with the soulful Mr. Bachchan….well, where can you go wrong?

One of the first things I noticed about this movie is Mr. Bachchan’s awesome hair...and the passion that is awakened in his eyes when he speaks about the ordinary man’s every day struggle, and how extraordinary it is…And even my attempts to keep my left leaning politics out of the picture failed during Azad’s first speech on the stage.

The movie is a powerful one with a cast capable of very capably delivering the message of the movie.
I present to you the hair. 

One thing I really respect about this film and would like to highlight is the tastefulness of the music that is presented. Usually in Hindi cinema the tradition of music within the film creates a disturbance in the flow of the film (ie one of my favorite movies Agneepath). But in this one, the music is artfully done in form of a steady, revolutionary song that contributes to the drama and seriousness of the movie.

I hold this movie in high regard and recommend it highly for your viewing pleasure, and ask you to be Azaad. 
Main bhi Azaad hoon,
IS

No comments:

Post a Comment