Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sholay (1975)

To honor the fact that my mom finally watched this film after having fist seen it in the cinema when it first came out, and since I’ve raved about Ki Aag, I present to you the blockbuster that was, is and shall always remain a legend, Sholay from 1975, directed by Ramesh Sippy.

The movie stars Amitabh Bachchan as Jai, Dharmendra as his counterpart Veeru, Sanjeev Kumar, Hema Malini, Jaya Bachchan and the always incomparable Amjad Khan as the traitorous Gabbar Singh.
What can be said about this movie that hasn’t already been said? I think all the praises have been uttered, all the critics have spoken their final word.

There is a clear, undeniable break in Hindi cinema, a “before Sholay” and”after Sholay”, a most welcome break from the suffocating romances that were being pumped out. The movie is so good, it traumatizes you whenever and however often you watch it. The comedy that is inserted periodically throughout the movie is a shock to the system, creating an amazing contrast in the audience…you go through a million emotions while watching this movie. 

It’s a full smorgasbord of emotions.

But I would like to present to the jury the fact that I prefer to watch Deewar (the watch count has exceeded 200 since September). Although Deewar is much worse on the trauma front of things, I can argue the move is better made, the story more relatable in a sense. Or is that just me? (link to Deewar)

So I open the question to you, Sholay or Deewar?



Tumhara naam kiya Ishtar?
-IS

Note: 
I found this picture and thought it worth sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment